Wednesday, September 20, 2006

The King, of Crap Blog servers. Mweb South Africa

When I first ventured onto the blog scene, I was looking for a place to vent my anger on everything from people to politics, and everything else.

I stumbled upon Blogger, and after a few tentative steps, took the plunge and haven’t looked back. I’m no Computer programmer and my technical skills are sufficient to get things done. I liked the clean-cut pages and enjoyed the fact that No-one had access unless I said so. That was particularly relevant with advertising
(my pet hate). Should I wish to clutter my pages with crap or sell something that was my prerogative to do so.

What I enjoyed most was being able to post photos. I’ve been a keen amateur photographer for my entire life so putting it ‘out there’ was a personal pleasure for me. No more boxes full of photos and shopping for albums. The digital age was here and I was ready to embrace it with both arms and legs.


******

During December of last year I wanted to have a blog with access to local readership in South Africa and opened a blog at Mweb.co.za. You cannot for one moment imagine what hell that was. The fuckin thing hardly ever works.

They have no system to block unwanted anonymous comments and have a ‘most recently updated’ list, which leads to the most incredible phenomenon, bloggers continuously repost articles just so they can remain up top to get readership. Changing simple things like commas and full stop’s just to be able to remain on top of the list for as long as possible. Further to this they have counters, and some bloggers are so obsessed with having the highest count, they do their utmost to blog as much as possible, mostly cut and paste rubbish like jokes and poems.

Posting photos is a fuckin nightmare, the fuckin photo’s take bloody ages to load and even when they do, you’re not guaranteed they’re gonna stay on your blog for any amount of time. They keep appearing and disappearing at the will of some spiteful shit at Mweb, who clearly has no fuckin clue how to run a Blog server. Mweb also only allow the minimal amount of editing and no editing of the html at all!

On top of that they clutter ‘your’ blog with so much advertising, it totally fucks up the page diameters. And to add salt to the wound bloggers are not allowed to put advertising of their choice, or advertise anything on their blogs.

A few bloggers at Mweb really don’t deserve this kind of treatment as they run interesting blogs with good subject matter and minimal use of weird colour text or cut and paste rubbish. They’re the ones complaining the most. The rest are either ignorant or too busy pasting to notice.

Want to see what a really crap blog server is like? Go visit www.mweb.co.za and go to the Blog pages.

No comments: