Wednesday, September 19, 2007



The answer to “Life, the Universe, and Everything “

I woke on Wednesday last and remembered I have a birthday this Tuesday. You can’t forget your birthday. It’s impossible, because subconsciously we wait for 365 and a quarter day to get stuff for free.


At this age we no longer believe we’re getting free stuff from RCA, Reader’s Digest or Father Christmas. Yes, we still fill in the forms, go to the presentations and kick ourselves when we forget to read the fine print. Secretly however, we put ourselves through pain and torture, so that our birthdays can be all the more special, as we grow older.


This year I decided to take the day off and contemplate the meaning of life. My life.

Instead of finding the answer, I came to the conclusion that I get more rest at work. Especially on a birthday. Phone calls came from my Gran all the way down the family tree and back up to my mother, who forgot that she phoned at 6, and wished me happy birthday again. My Gran turned 87 this year, and after wishing me happy birtday, told me she's dying tomorrow. I told her I'll pray for her, as I do every year and we said our goodbeys.

The dogs knew I was in, so made me aware of every person who passed in the street. There was no rest.

So I decided to put the meaning of my life on the back burner for now, perhaps for revisiting at 43, and popped 300 into the Dvd player.
I especially love the colours in this movie. The subtle sepia tones and pastel colours mix well with the ample doses of blood, and the testosterone-filled dialogue is also quite pleasing. The stop-motion -action scenes are drawn out long enough for the eyes to focus, before slapping your senses with a brutal finality that had my palms sweating. You might think the analysis a tad over-the top, but I immersed myself completely in the film, and apart from the occasional walk to replenish my glass, enjoyed it from start to finish, without interruption.

And then B arrived back from a funeral, left briefly to fetch the midgets, and my day was over.

Hopefully I’ll have the answer for you next year, but I wouldn’t hold my breath.

3 comments:

Catherine Rossetti said...

:) 42

HAPPY belated BIRTHDAY Chi!

Sounds like you had a pretty good day. :) Family, warm wishes, a good movie... and even if you didn't get to think about it yesterday, this year promises to reveal the answers to Life, the Universe and Everything :D

Make it count.. Hope it's filled with moments that take your breath away..

CR

Warrior Dog said...

Thank you Catherine,

The moments alone are enough to take my breath away. I feel a major change coming in my life. Good or bad, I'll welcome it with open arms.

Guy McLaren said...

Hi Biker Doggie, a belated hope you got poes dronk? and yes thats one of my hang outs but I am most active on trafficdepartment.co.za