Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Route 103

Thirteen times in two weeks, I counted. That is how many times I awoke with a startle, almost rushing up to go check up on the sound that raised me from the dead. Only to find it was my cell phone’s alarm. Yes, that would also be thirteen times I slept through the night. The whole night. Not waking once, not to check why the dogs were barking, nor even to reach to my left and find B by my side; ready to reassure her that I’m ‘onto it’. Those nights I would walk from window to window and check to see that all was okay outside; get back into bed, and forget about getting to sleep until just 5 minutes or so before my alarm went off.

Only, it was Saturday, and I had forgotten to switch the alarm off. What am I to do with myself today? I lay my head back on the pillow and stare at the ceiling. An altogether wonderful feeling rises from somewhere near my toes, and slowly makes it’s way to the side of my brain that deals with the unfamiliar. Time is on my side. I have no one to answer to but myself. Two days to Monday. Two days of freedom.
A nice hot shower soon points the way, and road trip comes out right on top. Above morning coffee and people watching at the mall, washing the car (oh really?) and visiting mother. I dress hurriedly and shove camera, money, cell, and all into my one-by-one (small Student Prince backpack I’ve had for yonks), afraid some other stupid idea might pop into my mind, leaving me stranded. ‘Hurry now’, I urge myself on as I dig into an old box to find my ‘Weekend Getaways” booklet I normally have handy.
No luck! Stuff it; I’ll get on the road and figure something out.

The only clear direction I have is to go south. Well actually Southeast; towards the coast. Harrismith being the goal, and anything further depends on how big the itch becomes. Just after Heidelberg I turn onto the R103, a familiar route to me; having driven it to and from Durban for many years. Every time I took this route I had a different car, driving new model cars for an importer, and notching up almost 200 000 km’s a year. I know the route by heart, and not too surprised when I realise where I am.

Somewhere past Frankfort, next to the N3, I stop at a diner called Makietie, and while sipping on an ice cold beer, the itch wanes to nothing, and no matter how I try to conjure up the images of the road trips of yore; it does not return.

I think the wandering heart is still in me; it just needs to be dug up, a spade-full at a time.

Makietie

4 comments:

CAREFREE said...

Lovely place this Makietie

Unknown said...

"Yes, that would also be thirteen times I slept through the night. The whole night."

The whole night. Suffering (and yes, I use that word on purpose :) from insomnia, I think I can understand the beauty of sleeping through the whole night.

Last week I averaged 2-5 hours sleep a night. Full days, little sleep, not good. I've slept through the whole night two nights in a row now :) Enjoy Chi.

"And while sipping on an ice cold beer, the itch wanes to nothing, and no matter how I try to conjure up the images of the road trips of yore; it does not return.

I think the wandering heart is still in me; it just needs to be dug up, a spade-full at a time."

This one... is more difficult. Maybe it is still there, I suppose it will always be there if you want it to be.

For myself... Change is constant. Without realising it, we change. One day you wake up and the person you were at 3, 13 and 23 looks more like a character from a much loved book than a part of you. I remember the girl I was at 22. I had just finished my honours degree. My mind was probably in the best shape it will ever be, I could analyse, process vast amounts of information.. I believed I could make a difference. 5 years ago I missed that girl with her enthusiasm, her faith.. now, I smile when I remember her, but I am happy for the distance that seperates us. It cost me, the intervening years, and I have no desire to live through systematic disillusionment, pain and frustration again. I see the world a little more clearly now, or maybe a little more blurred :) Don't know.. Just know that I don't want to go back there, as beautiful as it was.

Phew! :) Lots said.

Take care Chi. Happy sleeping.

Warrior Dog said...

CR,

I have always been a wanderer, mind, body and soul. Just need to get my butt out of bed and go places.

I think the insomnia stemmed from a physical need to protect those around me, and mentally I was in a constant worry if they were safe.

'Change is constant' - Well, yes, and that is why we need to live for today. Let the past only be a guideline of what is good and what is bad.

Mailer hit the nail on the head for me, when he said "Dissatisfaction with the things I haven't done. Not with the things I had done"

Warrior Dog said...

Carefree,

Yes it was. Cold beer and Air-conditioning.