Tuesday, May 20, 2008

For the Love of Paris

The urge becomes greater as the days go by, my feet itchy with every Google pass.

Paris, when will I walk your streets again?

London was my wife and my comfort. I spoke the language and felt familiar with the people. Paris was my lover, my concubine. Wild exploration and nervous excitement around every corner.

How I miss my lover.

The urge to return to Paris has slowly increased over the last 4 months or so. The Rand continues to weaken, and accommodation is more likely to be a Metro bench than a Bohemian loft. It must be sooner rather than later.

I made myself a promise that once I've bought my Motorcycle; the next thing on my list is to return to Paris. If only for a week. Who needs to sleep anyway? Especially in Paris. It's only five days. I'll buy food from the market in Mauberte, and wine from the many Wine merchants in and around Montmartre. My goal is for September/December 2009, or maybe 2010 while everyone is here in S.A. for the World cup.

I'll need about 20gigs in memory cards for my camera, and good shoes. Warm clothes and a good street map.

Boarding room - Montmarte, Paris - 1989

It's important that I take a decent camera. Above is what happens when you take crap.

Je vous verrai bientot mon amour

2 comments:

eet kreef said...

Strangely enough, although I have spent time in France,I haven't been to Paris yet. So instead I love Vienna - and now that I have a half decent camera, I want to go back too. Not as a tourist this time, but as someone who takes photos..

Warrior Dog said...

I would imagine the 'olde towne' feel would be similar in the architecture; cobbled streets, intricate detail on the window and door frames, and so on. I could very well fall in love with Vienna as well.