Thursday, February 26, 2009

Thursday chic flic nite.. no more


Under normal circumstances I'm not one for what I call 'lame movies' or 'chic flics', but occasionally I watch one by accident. I say by accident, because I will never deliberately put myself through two hours of torture, watching something I don't enjoy as a norm.

This has nothing to do with crying in a movie at all. Or your buddies finding out you watch chic flics with your grilfriend, Thursday nights on E. I've cried in many movies, or at the very least had a lump in my throat on more than ten occasions. I simply don't give a shit whether or not my buddies care what I do with my girlfriend on any given day, nevermind a Thursday.

I've been single for almost 4 months now, and with the pointless chic flics a thing of the past, I've made up for the void by getting a dvd or two to watch on Thursday nights.

I wasn't to keen at first, but with a 'whatever' attitude I got hold of Slumdog Millionaire and popped it into the machine last Thursday.

It's a mini epic in the life of a young Indian boy who grows up in the slums of Mumbai and becomes a winner on the "Who wants to be a millionaire" Tv show.

I enjoyed it, and it is actually quite watchable without the need for crying, even during the sadder parts. And of course it helps that the little mud-splattered girl-friend, turns into a really hot number as they all grow up.


Worthwhile watching, with or without the girlfriend.

I also revisited some Coen-brother oldies like Fargo(excellent!) and Big Lobowski?(Hillarious) recently. Tonight it's back to a classic from 1955 - 'Bad Day At Black Rock' starring Lee Marvin, Ernst Borgnine and Spencer Tracy. Should be fun.

No comments: