Tuesday, April 10, 2007

Sin City

There is a Sub city here beneath us. A sub culture of near-humans, living among graffiti adorned buildings and rubbish-strewn pavements. The smells of piss and shit, a reality-covered bullet to the senses. The feeling of despair is as tangible as the nightmare I had two nights ago.

Driving down Rocky Street, these thoughts come to mind as I revisit the entrance to my University of Life. It was here, back in 1980 that I first came face to face with the nightlife of Johannesburg, and long before I ventured to the seedier side of the ‘Brow’ nearby.

Rocky Street is but a shoestring’s width from Malvern where I was born, and the flood of memories surface as I take the short drive and stop across from the ‘Ou Apostoliese Kerk van God’ in St. Amant Street. The house where I grew up is right next-door. The apple tree long ago flattened for what is now a parking lot. I remember stealing grapes from the pastor’s house with my Porra buddies, back when I was only hip-high to my father.
The corner café is now a curtain shop, and the old BP garage has since changed to a Taxi workshop. I ran away from home once, and thought the garage was a world away. That was until the Police picked me up and took me back home. They first had to lure me with some Jelly Tots and a cool drink so stubborn was I, even back then. I drive back to Rockey Street again, passing through Troyville, and crisscrossing my way over Linksfield to the new China town, in Cyrildene. All the while remembering my youth, as I pass the old Bruma Lake (now Asian City), and join the highway south, back home to the countryside. A 12-year journey of discovery - squeezed into a two-hour trip of nostalgia.

4 comments:

Catherine Rossetti said...

"The smells of piss and shit, a reality-covered bullet to the senses."

What a powerful sentence.

"A 12-year journey of discovery - squeezed into a two-hour trip of nostalgia." Always gets me.. how the telling or the remembering is always, always so much shorter then the living.. Yes, the words give an idea, but the truth lies somewhere in those 12 years worth of hours.. and no one can ever really understand.

Thanks for sharing Chi.

Warrior Dog said...

Hi, Catherine

It was such a lovely journey, but at the same time very sad to see how suburbia has fallen to waste.

eet kreef said...

Amazing how things are not quite the same when you go back

Warrior Dog said...

eet kreef,

You're so right. Everything seems so much smaller than I imagined it to be. The church for one, was always huge and intimidating for me. Now it just looks like a neighbourhood community centre. Small and unemposing.