Thursday, January 31, 2008

Restoration


While traveling back from Durban over the weekend I stopped over at many interesting places and met some lovely people. While in the Nottingham Road area I stumbled upon a old rusty barn which I wanted to photograph. As I was driving up the private driveway a big 4x4 came rumbling towards me. This is it, I thought. Now I'm in shit.
The truck pulled up next to me and the man asked if he could help me. I asked if he would mind if I photographed his old barn. Not only did he give me permission, he promptly invited me to his house which he had restored from an old barn, similar to the one I saw.

After showing me his house and garden, we sat on the veranda and had a cold beer while he told me interesting things about the area, and showed me photos of what the farm looked like when he bought the property. As a point of reference I show you a picture of the rusty barn, which is similar to what his house looked like before the restoration. Altogether 1.2million rand was spent getting the house and the farm back to it's former glory.



The old barn did have the original sandstone walls, which were sandblasted and cleaned.





You don't even need a map. Just get in your car and go. Take the road less travelled, and see our country while you still can.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

I love the house.. that big porch especially.. can almost feel the coolness of the air around me, feel the knots unwind.

Aye, you're right. We really should see as much of it while we still can.

Warrior Dog said...

Somewhere I could retire to in a flash. Yes, it was nice and cool.