Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Urban Life


I was a member of a local photo club on the internet, and they often made me wonder whether or not the photographic medium is properly understood or my photos correctly interpreted.

When I published my photos I used to ask for technical comments, in order that I can understand the terminologies, as well as use the positive and negative critique to better my work. Unfortunately the critique has begun to overshadow the message I wish to portray with my work. I feel one does not have to follow classic photo technique(rules) in order to make a photograph great, or at least good. Art is my intention with my camera and my 'digital darkroom'. I don't just want to take pictures, but I want to take a picture and transform it in subtle ways and turn it into art.

I don't care if my composition is faulty and I couldn't bother if the rule of thirds is not evident in my photos. Nor do I bother removing noise (grainy) when it clearly influences the emotion of the photo; giving it a mood that would otherwise be lacking if the photo was clear and grain free.

So I nervously joined an international Art club, and published some of my better photos. The feedback was refreshing to say the least. Instead of the usual technical jargon, I was blessed with interpretation. Members would analyse the photo in terms of it's artistic merit, and each would write what the photograph meant for them. Not all if it was flattering, but it made me confident that I was on the right track to start with.

I have often stopped by the side of the road and taken a photo of something I thought looks very eye catching, something that might appeal to someone else as well. However, more often than not, the outcome(photo) is not what I saw with the naked eye, and a certain amount of manipulation is required to replenish some of the lost features which were evident in the first prespective (eyes). This is often frowned at by traditionalists and doomsayers of digital material.

Instead of concentrating on the technical, I started taking photos of what I like, and my darkroom work has become more free and expansive.

I feel liberated.

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Good for you. First and foremost, it should always, always please you . Else, why do it?

So glad you're getting open minded, clutter free feedback.

B

eet kreef said...

I've also found that the camera doesn't always record what I saw.Going back to some of the photos i took a while ago, I found that some of them which I had dismissed as crap, we actually quite good. I was now looking at what the lens recorded rather than what i'd seen at the time. I've started uploading pics to deviant art - any other sites you can recommend?

Warrior Dog said...

What digital darkroom work allows me to do is have the tools to manipulate colours, exposure etc, to be able to render a photo in high definition. As close as you can get to what the eye sees.

I used to be at Outdoorphoto.co.za, and still publish now and again, but I feel they can get a bit anal with technical know how. I've just won my fourth weekly choice over there, so it's difficult for me to understand why they fuss so much.

Deviant art is by far the better 'clubs' i've been in, and there will always be a niche for whatever art you deem yourself good at.