Thursday, February 14, 2008

Nice shoes..

I inadvertently joined the world the other day.

After many happy months of minding my own business I unknowingly took a sidestep in a different direction, and found myself swirling in the neverending vortex of the downtrodden.

By chance I read a blog on the Sunday Times website and was immediately drawn into a ‘discussion’ about apartheid and the military. It was unusual for me to be on the defensive so soon after writing my opinion on the subject on hand, and I came off second best to say the least. Argumentative-wise that is.

The discussion started of as a for/against ‘debate’ about Jacob Zuma, and as it goes in our lovely country, ended in a Black and White confrontation about the past. How we(white) are to blame for all the ills of the past and how they(black) will continue to be disavantaged because of those actions. And as is the norm in these debates the blame continues to fall on the Afrikaners, or Boers as we are sometimes called.

During all my time in self-imposed Limbo, I naively thought the feudal storms between the races will subside into calm seas of acceptance and I’ll re-emerge into a world of tolerence and love; an African Nirvana where the Lion and the Lamb are seated at the same table, savouring plates-full of vegetarian delight.

It seems there will always be an us and a them. We can’t change and nor can they. For as long as politicians feed the fire of our discontent, we will continue on the senseless path of hate and self-destruction.

That is all; I will now return to blissfull ignorance.

2 comments:

michele said...

Excellent entry. Echoes the thoughts of many.

Warrior Dog said...

Thank you.