Friday, September 26, 2008

Scouting for the Desert trip

I took a trip down to Koppies in the Free-State to scout out the railway line in preparation for my trip to De Aar in November/December. The idea is to follow the line by bike from Sasolburg via Bloem and Kimberley down to De Aar without using the tar roads, where possible.
From what I saw on Google Earth it's not only possible but could be a very interesting trip, as there are some excellent sites not visible from the main roads. I've already discovered a concentration camp north of Koppies and an old abandoned Escom factory.

This pic was taken as I crossed the Vaal and entered the Free State.




Power Station South of Sasolburg



Abandonded Escom Factory, Kragbron



Vredefort Concentration Camp


Blockhouse ruin, Koppies.


I'm looking forward to the trip, and I know it's going to be harsh, but why else would one do it?

No comments: