Wednesday, September 17, 2008

The Suck generation

This morning I get a telephone call in the traffic, and as any good up-standing S.A. citizen does; I answered.

It was the young girl that works in my department. “Where are you” , she asked. “Just past town, near the office”, I replied. “But didn’t you get my sms?”, she asks again. “Was that from you?” I asked innocently.

The thing is this: I employed C to work in my department as a junior designer, come appy. I give her a lift to work everyday, because she lives in my area.

This morning I get a garbled message on my phone, which I cannot decipher, nor do I know who it’s from. It looked something like this: H lke gng 2b lte by 5 or 10 dis mng. Cn u wgt 4m?

WTF? I’m a proud member of the 80’s generation, I’ve kept up with technology without missing a beat. I have the latest laptop and scan G3 and ‘Stuff’ regularly for new goodies. The latest upgrade in cellphone technology is a month away, and my camera was swopped to digital the moment it became an event.

I know the tools, I don't understand the generation. Bunch of lazy arse I tell you. Just yesterday the other young ‘person’ in my office has a baby tantrum because I’m discussing his work with an Afrikaans colleague, well.. in Afrikaans. Why on earth would I speak to a fellow Afrikaner in any other language? That would be as stupid as our factory workers speaking English to each other, both being Zulu, for God sakes!

I repeated everything I said in English back to him, just to stop his huffy and get him to work. Wanker..
Same guy who gave up working just yesterday morning, because his work keeps getting stuck in the imagesetter when more than one page at a time is processed. I continued doing my work by printing one page at a time. He finally got the message and finished whatever he was doing two hours later than he could have.

It’s a generation that wants things to happen in a instant, but they are unwilling or able to deal with it when it doesn’t. Bch of fk’n lsrs!

They suck, and we’re in deep shit when their kids pop out and join the human race in ten or twenty.


I get another sms as I arrive in my office: "I sent you a sms this morning to say that I will be late by 5 or 10 min, and asked if you could wait for me?"

I phoned her back and apologised for not waiting. I think the crap msgs r a tng o da pst.

6 comments:

Slayer said...

A man I needed that this morning and was it not a great laugh. So how old are you tomorrow, old man?

Warrior Dog said...

Glad I culd help. Ah.. 40 something, can't remember.. too old. sms me, maybe I'll remember by.. what was the question again?

Unknown said...

You do a credible reproduction Chi :) Wanted to say Happy Birthday in short hand, but gave up after I couldn't understand the beginning of my sentence and lost my train of thought :)

So happy forty three Chi :) Hope tomorrow is a beautiful day and that the sun shines on your world in the year ahead.

I've got good news, and bad news... but that's for another day.

Have a good one!

Belinda

Slayer said...

Apparently I'll be visiting you guys the weekend. See you soon.

Warrior Dog said...

Hi Belinda,

Ha, ha, ha.. excellent. Thank you very much.
When my sis asked me the other day what I wanted for my bday, I said "same as always"."So yo want nothing then?" Exactly..just buddies and good times.

Warrior Dog said...

Slayer? You're Either my boet or a long lost friend digging for oil somewhere in Namibia. I look forward to a visit from either of you. He, he..