Wednesday, September 02, 2009

The olde wagon trail

Well, it's been a while since I last wrote.

A lot has happened; amongst other things I was retrenched in July, also I'm planning a trip through South Africa on the KLR650 i bought before the shit hit the fan.

The idea is to travel through the country and pay my way by working on a 'work for petrol basis'. Honestly you might think me mad, but if one has a permanent job it will never be possible. Best to do this while this opportunity is there for the taking.

If you live somewhere in South Africa or know of someone who can offer casual work(one week maximum), send me an e-mail and I can plan my schedule for your part of the world.

Any casual labour is fine, and I'm not scared to use some elbow grease if required. My first job I got here in Jhb to fund the video camera and camping equipment was disassembling old aircon machines for a large aircon company in Randburg. I've also been a barman and spent a short period working at an animal shelter.

Anything goes!

My first Trip was to Taung in the Northern Cape, and while walking the grounds of the old Chalk and Lime quarry I bumped into an old local(George) who's goat had been killed by a Jackal just that morning. The lad was pretty down, but was quite knowledgable on the area. I was looking to find the Buxton Falls, but instead he showed me one of only 3 Tufa-type falls in Southern Africa. It was fuckin amazing! I was also able to collect many antique goodies associated with the mining from back in the day. All in all a fantastic trip. I will post the video and some photos as soon as the editing is done.

Next trip is to Putsonderwater, and then.. who knows?

Ciao

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Good luck bro. Send Banking details, maybe have a few cents lying around.

You should maybe register on Twitter, its easier to follow you that way and to post updates.

Unknown said...

Looked up Tuang. Apparently Tuang is just just still in the North West Province.

http://www.encounter.co.za/article/195.html

eet kreef said...

Brilliant idea. My job has reached it's sell by date, and I'm also looking at doing something totally different for a while. Your blog brings back memories. A lifetime ago I spent time looking for lead-zinc in Taung, and had good mates that farmed about 5 clicks from Putsonderwater. Looking forward to hearing about your trip

Unknown said...

:) dear Chi,
it's been too long.
sorry to hear about the job, I seem to recall something about a promotion or move into a department you really liked? as the fox said to the little prince, nowhere's perfect. such is life.. :( mostly it sucks.
happy about the trip :)
you'll get to see beautiful things.. to me beautiful things have become air in a life spent under the waves..
breathe them in..
you've got my email addy, can't promise a lot, but I'd like to contribute something towards the journey..
cr