Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Sweet drama and butterflies

Finally left for Nelspruit at 13:30 on Monday past, and had to ride like a fuckin demon to make it before nightfall. Riding via Delmas, Hendrina and Carolina to avoid the N4, I stumbled upon a bloody nightmare. All the roads were being 'worked' on and most of it was detour after fucking detour. All the while the sun was slowly creeping into my rearview mirrors showing me how close it was gonna be that I could end up riding in the dark on the worst possible road I could find.

I hit Carolina, and decided I absolutely had to take a break. I stopped and as I got off the bike, I realised that my one bag had ripped open. It would not have been so bad, since only my food and water was in that bag when I started off, but halfway into the trip I realised that the mounting that the video camera was on, had started to come loose. So I wisely(or not) decided to remove the camera and stash it in the side-bag. As murphy-the-shit would have it, it was the same bag that had ripped open. So that's 4grand down the drain. I rode 30k's back to find it shattered by the side of the road, somewhere amongst the cold-meat sarmies and boerewors. What can one do? Kyk noord end fok voort.


Nightfall finally caught up with me in Machadodorp, and I had to give in riding the long way, and decided to hit the N4 and race for Nellies. Eventually I reached Nelspruit at about 7:30pm with only one hairy moment. Coming down Schoemanskloof I missed a fuckin marauding Waterbuck by the mearest of fuckin centimeters. I was so close I could see the veins in his eyes. Scary shit!

Anyway Guy McLaren(You should know him, eetkreef) met me at the Halls garage and we travelled the short distance to his house. Thankfully he had a cold Zamalek on hand, and a lovely braai to make me feel right at home.

Apart from all the shit around it, the Monster behaved like a dream. Power at the twist of the grip and very economical. The best investment I ever made. Total Km's travelled - 507 km's. Total since I took delivery - 820km's.

Guy and I went to a client today at a lodge just outside Hazyview. I could travel through country like this everyday.


At the lodge with our 'company vehicles'. Fantastic!

(On the way back the gears seized on Guy's bike, and in the most nonchalant manner he got on the back of mine and we continued home without it. Time for a new bike I guess.)

3 comments:

eet kreef said...

Your trip may not always be easy, and it's a pisser losing the camera - but fuck, it's an adventure!

Warrior Dog said...

Ja, I'm over the camera, and enjoying the trip more than ever.

Warrior Dog said...
This comment has been removed by the author.