Friday, February 24, 2006

Rock vs Rock & Roll

Elvis is dead, and yes, he couldn't sing. He was a closet gay and his clothing was an extention of his gayness.

Why is it that everytime I request a DJ to play Rock at a jol, they put on Rock & Roll. There is a major difference between the two, and I wish people who call themselves Dj's would wake the fuck up, and learn the difference.

No, Elvis is not Rock, nor is Paul Mcartney. I'm doubtful that Smokey is, and I'm certain Shakin' Stevens isn't. Meatloaf is Andrew Lloyd Webber theatrical crap and so was Rocky Horror. What the fuck's up with that shit anyway? Everytime a new generation leave high school, I find myself listening to the twats rave about that fuckin movie. It sucked, and just because one confused, smoked-up critic classified it as a cult classic, we all jump in the fire as well? Bullshit. The movie sucked and the music was a disease ridden, trance gendered bunch of shit.

I'm positive that Seether is Rock, as I'm certain that Nickleback is, and Creed and Live. Led Zeppelin, Deep Purple, Guns & Roses, and AC/DC all Rock. Certain songs may verge on Metal, there's the occasional ballad, but essentially It's Rock.
And please!, for the last fuckin time! Dozi's Rock album wasn't original, people. I think his original to cover ratio is about 80% in favour of cover versions.

If you want to define Rock & Roll, think Chuck Berry, Ducktails, stovepipes(tight pants) with white socks and girls that wear pink dresses that look like church bells. They swing, and throw each other around and shuffle their feet like they're killing roaches or something.

It's not Rock, and it hasn't been since Shakin' admitted the King was dead, discovered drugs and moved on. Maybe it's time you do too.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

So, lets see if I understand, you want to force the rest of us to listen to crap music cos you like it? Whats wrong with some ABBA and Boney M?

Anonymous said...

Was there anything orininal after Led Zeppelin ?

Warrior Dog said...

Hey blackdot,

I guess you meant original, and in that context, I'm not sure how to answer you.

Amittedly, I was first drawn to their music via an album called "A Whole Lotta Blues" - not a tribute.

Bloody excellent music.

Especially - Can't quit you baby.
- when the levee breaks

If you can find it. I believe it to be a collectable in my book anyway

Anonymous said...

..soul of a woman was created below..

Box set was stolen.

Not sure of in what context I meant. Just seems that all baselines, rifs etc could be traced back to some LZ song. Some are direct copies.

Sorry for the typo.

Warrior Dog said...

I now know what you meant, and yes you're onto something there. Read some time back,either in NYT or the Gentle Jones blog where a similar opinion was raised on the issue. Will let you know if I find it.

Warrior Dog said...

BlackDot,

I actually found the article I mentioned in my previous comment. The argument is both for and against Led Zeppelin when it comes to 'originality', but I must say that I agree that they were often accused of plagiarism simply because they weren't shy to credit those who influenced their songs and their music. Read the article and judge for yourself.

http://www.turnmeondeadman.net/Zep/Originals.html