Monday, February 27, 2006

My Lord is here, and He's judging already

I Received a call from a friend's lawyer two weeks ago asking me to appear in court to serve as a witness in an RAF case. He asked me to come in to his office on the Monday before the case, so that I could be prepped for my appearance. During prepping he advised me to act as humble as possible and be respectful to the Judge, and call him Your Honour. I've been to court once before so I was quite aware as to the 'Humble' bit.

So, on Tuesday we head off to court, and after breakfast at a coffee shop(paid by the Lawyer), we gather outside court, where I'm asked to wait until it was my time to appear. After about 10 minutes, the lawyer comes rushing out and says that this Judge was a particular nasty customer, and that I should call him My Lord. I couldn't fuckin believe it. Was this guy on a ego trip or what.

After another 5 minutes I'm called in and led to the booth where I was to testify. The Judge was this timid black dude who spoke so soft, I had difficulty hearing him speak most of the time. He then proceeded to shit me out because I wasn't wearing a jacket, and told that next time I appeared, I should dress accordingly. Unless it's my destiny, I'm certainly not going to make a habit of going to court, so I played humble pie and apologised profusely.
I also thought that the "...so help me God" bit was over the top, since he was sitting right there, and any help I was gonna need was just an arm-stretch away.

Fuck, I had difficulty calling this fucker My Lord. I kept slipping into the Honour thing, and the Judge gave me quite a few unhappy glares throughout the proceedings. It fucks my nut that we're supposed to be equal by law in this country, and that I had to dress up for proceedings where I was, not to be Judged, but a witness in a civil case, for fuck sakes. The same thing appears to be the case with our politicians. They think they're above South African citizens, and it's only during elections time that they find it in their rotten hearts to stoop to our level and lick arse for votes.

Fuck all of them, and fuck the judge for thinking he's better than me. I wish I was a Christian just for that one day so that I could tell him what the fuck I think about who's Lord in this fuckin place.

Asshole.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

But don't you know he is yr bettererer, he has a cloak thingie :)!!!

Anonymous said...

What twists my tits is that according to the lawyer, batman makes decision based on who strokes his ego. I had this too.
If this is the case, I'd gladly pay out of my hard earned booze money to have milords knob polished, just to speed up procedings, you see.
Or is it batman's buddy's way,( el lawyer), gettin R 5000 for a morning in court, five times, to liven up the show?
Add a little spice.

Hope your buddy wins.

Ps: Thanks for the LZ article. Much interesting.

Warrior Dog said...

Excuse me while I stiffle a yawn...